Benefiting the Parvo Puppy Program at Austin Pets Alive!
2021 Paddle for Puppies
OVERVIEW: Paddle for Puppies is a unique annual fundraiser benefiting Austin Pets Alive! and presented by Austin Subaru. Each year, participants hop in a kayak, canoe, or stand-up paddleboard (SUP) at Rowing Dock and paddle with us down Lady Bird Lake. You can bring your own boat or rent one of ours. We’ll provide a Paddle for Puppies t-shirt with registration. Last year, despite not being to paddle together due to COVID restrictions we were still able to raise $20,000 for Austin Pet’s Alive! through t-shirt sales. It is still going to look a little different this year, but we are excited to get back to semi-normal operations and see you all on the water! Thank you all for your support!
START LOCATION: Rowing Dock on Lady Bird Lake PARKING: Free parking will be available underneath the Mopac bridge along Stratford drive. It is a short walk up the road to the Rowing Dock/registration entrance. Only those hauling a personal boat will be allowed to enter the Rowing Dock parking lot to briefly unload before parking under the Mopac bridge. Please plan accordingly. Registration is required PER PERSON BENEFICIARY: Austin Pets Alive! – Parvo Puppy Program PRESENTING SPONSOR: Austin Subaru RENTALS: Over 200 boards and boats available at Rowing Dock – Online Reservation Required BRING YOUR OWN BOAT: Participants can bring Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake) approved watercraft for the paddle: Stand Up Paddle Boards, Kayak, Canoe, Water Bikes, etc. – All participants MUST have a personal floatation device (life jacket) with their watercraft. Life vests for all human participants are provided with each rental.
WHAT’S NEW AND DIFFERENT: In compliance with CDC and local government recommendations, we are not going to be paddling in one very large group at the same time. Instead, we’ve expanded this fundraiser to span three days so you and your family can pick a paddling time that works best for you and we can accommodate the same number of guests in a less crowded way.
- You still get 2 hours of paddling and are welcome to follow the PFP course or you can paddle at your leisure and check out a different part of lady bird lake.
- Facial Coverings are required while on site. You can remove these while you are on the water, but you will be required to put them back on before you get back to the dock/land.
- Due to the potential for toxins in the water, dogs will not be allowed to paddle.
- Since we are not checking everyone in and out at the same time, each group that rents a boat from Rowing Dock will be asked to have one primary contact. That primary contact will need to bring a state-issued ID and a matching credit card on file.
- Instead of picking and paying different prices for a specific boat ahead of time, we’ve streamlined the boat rental process and included it in the registration A large variety of kayaks, canoes, and stand up paddleboards will be available on a first-come-first-served basis
Click here for more info.
Austin Pets Alive!’s Parvo Program
APA!’s Parvo Program: Signs of parvovirus infection once meant immediate and absolute euthanasia for puppies and dogs at the city shelter. The first of its kind in the nation, Austin Pets Alive!’s Parvo Puppy ICU now gives these dogs a fighting chance. The disease takes about a week to treat and once they are free of parvo, these amazing pups go on to lead normal, healthy lives and are highly adoptable! Watching these puppies go from being on death’s door to playing and eating again is what keeps our volunteers coming back to help treat them. Each parvo puppy costs APA! about $200 to treat, so the number of lives APA! can save is directly related to donated supplies and funds that come through. The Parvo Puppy ICU saves around 600 puppies yearly and has rescued more than 4,000 puppies from death at other shelters.